Community Lactation Consultants
Our Lactation Consultants Vanessa and Jo, can provide specialist support to mothers with complex breastfeeding issues via home visits, clinics at Charlotte Jean, or telephone as appropriate.
This is a free service for women in the Central Otago and Wanaka areas.
Reasons You May Like to See a Lactation Consultant
- Damaged nipples
- Persistent latching difficulties
- Painful breastfeeding
- Low weight gain
- Milk supply issues
- Sleepy babies
- Medications/illness affecting breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding challenges that are not resolved by strategies suggested by your LMC/Plunket Nurse/GP
- During your pregnancy for previous breast surgery or anatomical problems
- Difficulties with breastfeeding a previous child.
- Managing breastfeeding while returning to work.
If you have an urgent problem regarding breastfeeding, that you think may be putting you or your baby at risk, you must contact your primary health care provider (such as your LMC or GP).
During the first consultation or appointment it is likely that the Lactation Consultant will:
- Listen to your concerns/issues.
- Observe baby feeding.
- Examine your baby and/or your breasts.
- Discuss some solutions and create a plan together with you.
- Provide information and teach the skills needed to implement that plan.
- Organise follow up if necessary.
RN, BSc (Hons) Critical Care, IBCLC
RM, BSc (Hons) Midwifery, IBCLC
To organise an appointment
phone Charlotte Jean Maternity Hospital. 03 4485229
If we are unable to take your call immediately please leave your contact details so we can call you back.
This is a non urgent service, available Monday-Friday 9-4pm.
“Jo was patient, caring, supportive, informative and really took the time to help me. She listened and followed up on appointments.”
Feedback Survey, June 2016
“Vanessa was caring, supportive and thorough. Through her advice we were referred for a tongue tie snip that significantly improved breastfeeding. She also offered a range of other advice and strategies and she followed this up to check how I was doing.”
Feedback Survey, March 2015
“Lactation Consultant was fantastic in helping me to make the right choices to increase my milk supply. She really supported me and gave me options that suited my everyday routine.”
Feedback Survey, January 2015
“Jo’s expertise and support were the best. Jo has been an amazing support to me during the past couple of month’s when I would’ve otherwise given up, she has gone out of her way to work in with my decisions.”
Feedback Survey, April 2016